With plenty of hit shows on the platform, Hulu continues to emerge with more projects on the way. However, nothing is perfect. And unfortunately, the same goes for Hulu.
Lately, the users have been complaining about Hulu not working for quite some time now. So if you’re also one of those troubled users, read on!
In this article, we are going to discuss how you can get away with the issue of “Hulu not working”. We will also talk about what are the possible reasons that could be causing this issue. So let’s get started without further ado!
Why is Hulu not Working?
If Hulu isn’t working, there can be plenty of reasons for it. We are going to discuss those reasons below:
- Internet Connectivity Issue: Not having good internet connectivity is one of the common reasons for most of the technical errors that people face. So, before trying any other step or method, be sure about making sure that you have a working and stable internet connectivity.
- Software Issues: If you think that the issue is just from your end, that might not be the case. It isn’t frequent, but not impossible either for the fault to be from Hulu’s side. Due to new updates or changes, there can be issues with the smooth functioning of Hulu.
- Hulu is down: Another important factor that contributes to Hulu’s not working is the app’s server being down. It often happens that the software version of the app is not updated to the latest. Hence, you can check whether Hulu’s servers are down.
- Web player or App Issues: Sometimes there are issues that happen between the web player and the app. If there is some bug in the app which is preventing the app from functioning properly, it can cause the app to stop working. So if you’re using Hulu via a browser or different device, there can be issues from their side too.
So these were some possible reasons that could be causing the issue of “Hulu is not working”. Now let’s see the steps to fix this error using some easy methods.
How to Fix the Issue “Hulu not Working”?
If Hulu isn’t working, worry not! Because we are here with the solutions for you. All you have to do is follow the methods given below step by step, and you’ll get away with the issue of Hulu is not working:
Check your Internet Connection
To stream movies on Hulu, you need a high-speed internet connection. So before starting with any other methods or solutions, check to see if your connection is working properly. As per Hulu, the following speeds are recommended:
- 3.0 Mbps: Standard definition streams.
- 8.0 Mbps: Live content.
- 16.0 Mbps: Ultra-high definition streams.
In order to check your internet connection, you can follow the given steps:
- Open your browser and search “Speed test”.
- Now hit enter and click on “Run Speed Test”.
- Now you will be able to see the current speed of your internet connection as shown in the image below.
Restart your Device
The most common methods sometimes help the best. And even though it may sound very basic, you can try restarting your device and see if that helps. Whether you’re trying to stream on a phone, laptop, video game console, PC, or any other type of device, make sure to perform a complete restart and unplug the device from power if necessary. After that, turn the device back on, and see if Hulu works now.
Check if Hulu is Down
When it comes to the servers acting up, Hulu is pretty reliable with a very high “uptime.” However, if you can’t connect or get an error, the first thing you may want to do is see if the service is down. If it is offline, you just need to wait for a bit and try again later. Another easier way to check if Hulu is down is by going to Hulu’s network status page at Downdetector. You can also just simply search for “Is Hulu down” in a Google search.
Look for Hulu Error Codes
If you are trying to stream, and you get a Hulu error code, you can check the details of the error code that is showing. If you have the error code, you can find more information about it, despite trying to use general troubleshooting tips.
Try Using a Different Device
If you are streaming Hulu using your phone, you can try switching it to your laptop for a bit. This is because there can be an issue with the device or the web browser that is stopping the smooth functioning of Hulu. Just log in to your Hulu account using a different device.
Close the Hulu App
If restarting your device did not help, you can try restarting the Hulu app. Firstly, fully close the app and then restart it. There are different ways for restarting the app on different devices, but usually, it can be done by switching off the power device and resetting it after unplugging.
Reboot your Modem and Router
By rebooting your modem and router, you are basically performing a power recycle. The steps for the process are as follows:
- Switch off the device that you’re using for Hulu.
- After that, power off the modem and router (only if you’re using Wi-Fi).
- Then unplug your equipment from the socket or the power source.
- Now wait for a few minutes and then restart.
For more information, you can go to the official support page of Hulu.
Update your App or Browser
Another solution that you can try is updating the Hulu app or the browser you’re using for streaming Hulu. To do the process for different devices, you can follow the steps given on the Hulu help page.
Clear the Cache
You have to check for the cache of the Hulu app in case there is any. It doesn’t take long for the cache to get stored for any app. Locally stored data in your Hulu app may be corrupt, preventing the app from streaming any new content. If your device supports it, clearing the local data or app cache can fix this problem. The steps for the procedure are as follows:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Click on Apps and Notifications.
- Tap on See All Apps and select Hulu.
- Now click on Storage and Cache.
- Lastly, press Clear Cache.
Reinstall the Hulu App
Uninstalling and then reinstalling Hulu might break the ice if clearing the cache and updating it didn’t help. All you have to do is uninstall the app and delete it completely. Then wait some time and reinstall it from the Play Store or App Store.
Steps to Fix “Hulu Keeps Crashing or Shutting Down”
Now that you know how you can solve the issue of “Hulu is not working”, let’s move on with the fixes of another Hulu problem, “Hulu keeps crashing or shutting down”.
- Clear Cache and Data: There are unnecessary and wasted files often stored in order to support the performance but later get corrupted and cause issues. So to avoid letting that happen, you can clear the cache and data stored in the device and the app. For that, follow the given steps:
Solution Synopsis: Settings < Apps < Clear Cache < Restart
- Disable Auto-Turn Off Feature: Just like the feature of Netflix, “Are you still watching?”, there is an option on Hulu to automatically turn off the device when there is no activity. While Netflix prompts the user with the notification, Hulu simply turns off the device without any alert. Turning off this feature might help you to prevent Hulu from crashing and shutting down. The steps for the process are as follows:
Solution Synopsis: Open Hulu < Settings < Turn off ‘Stop Live TV when Inactive’ < Exit < Restart
- Log out of All Devices Connected to Hulu: If none of the methods so far helped you, worry not! We have one final resort left for you – logging out of all the devices connected to Hulu. For doing this, follow these steps:
- Search Hulu login and enter your username and password.
- Select your user icon and tap on Account.
- Then go to Your Account and select Manage Devices. After that, press remove for every device.
- After that, open Protect your Account.
- Then click on log out of all computers and restart Hulu to check whether the issue has been resolved or not.
- Check the problem and make a new account if it still persists.
By using any of the above methods, you will most likely be able to get away with the issue of “Hulu keeps crashing and shutting down”.
ANS: Yes, the loading error on Hulu can be fixed by clearing the cache from the Settings of your device. You can also try relaunching the app and opening Hulu again and see if that helps.
ANS: The most common reasons for Hulu to stop working all of a sudden are either poor and lost connection or problems from the side of Hulu itself.
ANS: If there is an issue with Hulu streaming, check that there is no fault from your device’s end. There can be either a connectivity issue or a software error from Hulu’s side.
ANS: If Hulu is not working on your Smart TV, you have to make sure that the app is up-to-date. There can be issues with Hulu not working if the app is outdated.