Child Tax Credit 2023 is increased by $1000 and $1600 for children under 16 and above 16 compared to 2022. For each child aged below 6 and above 6, parents are gonna get $3600 and $3000 as CTC annually, respectively, to claim it one has to file Form 1040 with Schedule 8812 (“Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents”), to learn more about it, please stay tuned.
Child Tax Credit 2023
Child Tax Credit is an initiative by the Federal Government of United States of America under the American Rescue Plan to help the working families financially, a couple i.e. husband and wife can claim CTC for each kid below 17 years, to do so the family has to file tax return by filing Form 1040 with Schedule 8812, for the tax 2022, last date for filing tax return electronically or on-Paper was 18 April 2023, which is already passed, extension deadline for filing refund is 16 October 2023.
Where’s My Refund?
IRS tax refund
IRS TAX Rates 2023
CTC 2023 Amount
Compared to 2022, the Child Tax Credit for kid below 6 and between 7 to 17 years has been increased by $1000 and $1600, respectively, now each kid below 6 year is going to get $300 monthly through the direct deposit, kids age between 6 and 17 years are going get $250 monthly as CTC. To claim Child Tax Credit of $3600 or $3000 for your child(ern), a taxpayer family has to claim CTC at the time of filing for tax return by filling the Form 1040 with Schedule 8812 (“Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents”).
CTC Eligibility Criteria
To claim the CTC along the 2022 Tax return, an individual must meet eligibility criteria, which are listed below.
- The child’s must be above 17 years as of December 2022.
- CTC claimer’s relation with child must be of son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, etc.
- The Child must be a permanent resident of the United States of America i.e. he or she has a valid Social Security Number.
- CTC claimants also had to prove that the kid had lived with him or her at least 6 months or more.
- To get the full credit of CTC, a couple’s Adjusted Gross Income must be $150,000, for Head of Household, it is only $112,500.
How to claim CTC 2023?
If you have a child age of 17 or below as of December 2022, then you can claim Child Tax Credit by filing for tax return electronically through the IRS Free File, to file Form 1040 with Schedule 8812 (“Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents”), you have to go through the step-by-step instructions below.
- Go to the official website of the Internal Revenue Service, which is accessible at https://irs.gov/.
- On the web portal of the Internal Revenue Service, you will find an option that reads ‘IRS Free File’ under the section of the Tools & Applications, tap on it and get redirected to another page.
- On the webportal, you will find two options: Use Free Guided Tax Preparation and Use Free File Fillable Forms. Choose the first one if your AGI is $73,000 or below, if your AGI is above this amount, then you have to choose the second software.
- At the end, you have to enter your Social Security Number, Filing Status, Refund Amount, Child Tax Credit Details, etc, and then finalise the application form.
How to check CTC 2023 Status?
Those who already have claimed for Child Tax Credit at the time of filing for tax return electronically need to know that they can check the tax return and CTC status using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool or IRS2Go mobile application, you need to know that after filing for tax return with CTC, it is approved by the Internal Revenue Service after four weeks, after which it is send to taxpayers by direct deposit or check.